ORIGINS OF THE ARMY, NAVY & AIR FORCE IN CANADA
In 1840, a charter was issued by Queen Victoria to create a Unit in Montreal however, it is believed that other Units may have existed well before that time; perhaps as early as the Conquest of New France in the 1700's.
The Association derives its name from the remnants of British and French colonial regiments which were left in Canada when their regiments returned to Britain or France following their tours of overseas duty, protecting their respective colonies.
These men gathered to exchange information on service benefits that might be available and to fraternize in a social environment.
The Association was known as "THE ARMY VETERANS IN CANADA". Following the War of 1812, sailors from the British Navy who patrolled the Great Lakes and the eastern seaboard who remained in Canada joined the Army Veterans club and the Association's title then changed to "THE ARMY AND NAVY VETERANS IN CANADA".
One of the founding members of the Last Post Fund in April 1909 at Montreal was Mr. W.W. Marsh, a member of "The Army and Navy Veterans Association". During World War II, members of the Royal Canadian Air Force were welcomed into the association.
In 1946, the Army and Navy Veterans in Canada Association became the "ARMY, NAVY & AIR FORCE VETERANS IN CANADA". In addition to our formal title, the association also uses the short form term "ANAVETS" to identify itself. The Army, Navy & Air Force Veterans in Canada also have one unit in the U.S.A. which is known as "ANAVICUS".
Our History 1946 - 1996
The first meeting of Unit 283 was held May 3, 1946 in the old Assiniboia Municipal Hall (now the HistoricalMuseum) located on Portage Ave.
The requirement to become a Unit was 25 members. On July 13, 1946 Unit 283 officially opened. Charter members were G. Richardson – President, H. Look – 1st Vice President, S. Harrison – 2nd Vice President, J. Farrow – Secretary, W. Rossum – Treasurer and W. Marr.
A title of 3 lots purchased at a cost of $1.00, twenty signatures on a loan from the Bank of Nova Scotia and the purchase of the old No. 2 Fire hall (located on
Willamette Ave , now Lodge Ave) for $500.00 started Unit 283 on the road to being “The Friendly Club”. The building was not practical and the lumber stored for future use.
Brewery Products came to the rescue with a loan (which was paid off in three years) and also supplied a foreman to oversee the volunteer building of our unit which was started on September 11, 1946. During this time much financial help and support was received from the Ladies Auxilliary.
We were required to have 100 members to qualify for a liquor license. We started out with one salaried employee (Wally Hancocks) who received $25.00 per week for salary.
Our first building was erected at a cost of $10,500.00. the exterior was covered with brick veneer and the interior featured a blue and buff colour scheme. Dimensions of our first building were 50’ x 30’.
The Ladies Auxilliary’s first meeting was held on May 29, 1946 with eighteen ladies present where they signed to form their charter and were known as Unit 50. They held regular meetings in the Municipal Hall and Executive meetings in private homes. President was J.B. Johnson.
The first meeting was held in our New building on May 1, 1947 with Comrade G. Richardson, President charing the meeting. We received our Charter on May 15, 1947 and our official opening was held on July 14th with 127 members present.
Unit 50 Ladies Auxilliary President was V.M. Vickers (VI Farrow) who today, is still a very active member of this auxiliary.
G. Richardson served as Unit President again this year. During this time, a piano was donated to our Unit from the Garry Street Unit. Harry Morgan made a motion for a set of By-Laws to be drawn up. Our Unit purchased a pool table from the Portage La Prairie Unit for $150.00. A decision was made to fly a flag daily except Sundays.
Ladies Auxilliary President was V.M. Farrow.
Comrade W. Findlay was elected Unit President, Ladies Auxilliary President was S.I. Marr.
This year saw changes to our building – a “reach in cooler” was installed upstairs and a “walk in cooler” was built in the basement. The By-Laws were completed. We held a Children’s Christmas tree party on December 26th with Santa, movies, ice cream and candy. A New Year’s Eve party was held for Unit members and guests.
Harry Morgan was our Unit delegate and attended the Provincial Convention in Fort William, Ontario receiving an expense allowance of $50.00.
Our Unit President was Comrade W. Findlay. Our Ladies Auxilliary President was E. Alexander. Our Delegate for this year’s Provincial Convention were Comrade W. Findlay and Comrade J. Smith. During this time, the Provincial Convention was held every year.
Delegates for the Dominion Convention were Comrade W. Findlay and Comrade S. Stillwell.
Unit President for this year was Comrade Stan Stillwell. Ladies Auxilliary President was E. Richardson.
Unit President for this year was again Comrade Stan Stillwell. For the Ladies Auxilliary their President was B. Smythe.
Our Unit President was Comrade Stan Stillwell and our Ladies Auxilliary President was E. Mongomery.
Our Unit President was Comrade T. Montgomery. The Ladies Auxilliary President was E. Montgomery. In May, Unit 50 Ladies Auxilliary purchased a small building at the corner of Greenacre and
We held our first mortgage burning ceremony on May 20, 1954. Pictured below are, left to right
Jock Walker, Herb Look, Tom Montgomery and jack Farrow taking part in the mortgage burning ceremony
Comrade Tom Montgomery was President of our Unit for this year. Ladies Auxilliary President was E. Alexander.
Unit President was again Comrade T. Montgomery and Ladies Auxilliary President was E. Alexander.
Unit President was Comrade A. Winmill and his wife A. Winmill was the Ladies Auxilliary Presdient.
Our Unit President was Comrade A. Winmill. Ladies Auxilliary President for this year was D. Brown. An addition to our club rooms was made. The opening of the new lounge took place in November of this year
Our Unit President was A. Winmill. The Ladies Auxilliary President was D. Brown.
Comrade T. Dunn was Unit President. Ladies Auxilliary President was S.I. Marr. By this time, we had outgrown our facilities that were built in 1946. expansion, at a cost of $2500.00 saw a new games room and eventually the lounge area.
Our Ladies Auxilliary donated a television set to DeerLodgeVeteransHospital for use on the wards.
President T. Dunn presented the Unit Secretary, Comrade A. Winmill with a plaque containing a photograph of the club rooms at the original opening and a photograph taken at the present time. The plaque also contained an excerpt from the St James Leader describing the original opening of the club rooms on July 12, 1947.
A ceremony on July 18, 1961 saw 250 members attend a dinner and a dance to witness the burning of the mortgage for the new addition.
President for the Ladies Auxilliary for this year was S.I. Winmill.
Our President for this year was Comrade R. Adams. The 27th Annual Provincial Convention was held at our Unit on the 19th and 20th of May. Ladies Auxilliary President was W.H. Dunn.
Our Unit President for this year was Comrade Barry Morden. Ladies Auxilliary Presidents were W.M. Dunn and I. Paradis.
President was Comrade Barry Morden. Ladies Auxilliary President was E. Alexander. Our membership for the Unit for this year stood at 380.
Our Unit President was Comrade B. Morden. Ladies Auxilliary President was P. Stillwell. Another expansion was needed and completed. The club rooms were extended northward and a basement was added known as the Assiniboia Room. Expansion cost was $120,000.00.
The Ladies Auxilliary came to our aide by donating the proceeds of the sale of their building to us and by also equipping the new kitchen. A mural was painted on the north wall of the main floor by Comrade Sid Spiring.
Our Unit President was Comrade Stan Stillwell. The Ladies Auxilliary President for this year was P. Stillwell.
Unit President was Comrade Stan Stillwell. Ladies Auxilliary President was L. Sexsmith.
President was Comrade Barney Barnett. Ladies Auxilliary President was L. Sexsmith. Another expansion was completed on the second floor at the north end. It became known as the Games room in 1974.
Mrs Aggie Granger was awarded a medal for “Mother of the Year” by the Patricia’s Canadian Light Infantry.
President was Comrade Stott Redfern. Ladies Auxilliary President was M. Lowrie. We had a membership of over 1000 this year at Unit 283 who enjoyed a well equipped games room, a bright and roomy main lounge, meeting and board rooms, a large all-purpose room downstairs and an attractive bar upstairs.
January 25th saw the official opening of the new lounge located on the second floor at the north end. Unit 283 golf team consisting of Tony \pelletier, John Isbister, Albert Olson and Bill Tymkiw won the Provincial Command Championships.
Unit President was Comrade Stott Redfern, and Ladies Auxilliary Presidnet was M. Lowrie. On July 13th, the Royal Visit arrived in Winnipeg honouring the Joint Veterans Committee.
During this year, Unit 283 won the Dominion Bowling Championships. The team consisted of Lloyd Kent, Frank Pokornik, Bill Houston, George Pongoski and Jim Halcek. Unit 283 Dart team composed of Roy Smith, Tom Dickie, Rod Cowie and Don Berry won the Provincial Command Tournament.
In this, our 25th Anniversary year, President Reg Baldwin leads a Unit with 1100 members, a manager, six regular staff and an eight man Executive Council. The Ladies Auxilliary President was L. Kell.
Unit Presidnet was Comrade Reg Baldwin. Ladies Auxilliary President was Betty Farmer. Member of the year award recipient was Marv Berg. It was the first time this award was presented.
From July 23 - July 28, we had a Japanese Youth Delegation student exchange visit to Winnipeg. Many new friends were made during this short time.
A plaque was unveiled in memory of fallen Comrades of two World Wars and the Korean Conflict by the Honorable D. McKenzie. The building dedication was done by Canon Stuart.
Unit President was Reg Baldwin. The Ladies Auxilliary President was M. Lowrie and Member of the year award went to George Anderson.
Life Memberships were presented to Comrades Reg Baldwin, Gord McIntosh and Scott Redfern.
John and Terry Abrahamson won the Senior Citizen's Bowling Trophy. Comrade Stan Stillwell was presented with an Honorary Citizenship certificate.
The Runners up for the Stan Stillwell Golf Trophy were Elvin Kehler, Stan Malchuck, John Copp and Jim bovan from Unit #283.
Unit President wasComrade G. mcIntosh. The Ladies Auxilliary President was M. Lowrie and member of the year was Pat Daly
Vern Lynn, our honorary Patron visited the Unit on the 13th of October and while visiting Winnipeg entertained at the Centennial Concert Hall. During this year, the games room was moved temporarily upstairs due to renovations being done to what would later become the lounge.
Unit President was E. Little. Ladies Auxilliary President was Laurette Kell.
A mortgage burning ceremony was held with 250 members in attendance. The mortgage was carried in a casket borne by Past Presidents, Comrades Morden, Redfern, Baldwin and McIntosh.
Burning of the document was done by Past Manager Comrade T. Johnston.
The ladies Auxilliary Unit 50 was retired and they became an Auxilliary to Unit #283 and belong to the Ladies Provincial Command.
Comrade E. Little was our President and Ladies Auxilliary President was L. Kell.
The New lounge opened in November of this year.
President for this year was Comrade Reg Baldwin. Ladies Auxilliary President was Bev Sylvestre (Boushie)
Comrade Marv Fraser was our Unit President and Bev Sylvestre (Boushie) was our Ladies Auxilliary President. Member of the year was M. Zwarych.
This year was our 32nd Anniversary. The Unit Band was in attendance along with the Seargent at Arms, Comrade John Thompson. Colour Bearers were H. Oliver and F. Boyes.
The Memrial to our fallen Comrades was unveiled on the 15th of July at the Anniversary ceremony by Past President Reg Baldwin. Certificates of appreciation were presented to Comrades A. Winmill, J. Burton, A. Mayer, Comrade and Mrs Ferguson, Comrade and Mrs Sadler, Comrade Don and Joyce Welch and Comrade and Mrs H. McLeod.
Unit President for this year was Comrade Marv Fraser. Ladies Auxilliary President was Grace West. the recipient of the Member of the year award was Howard McLeod. Appreciation awards were presented to R. Webb, J. Thompson, H. McLeaod, A. Glanfield, F. Boyes, L. Quark and J. Quark.
Our Unit President for this year was Comrade Joe Henderson, our Ladies Auxilliary President was Grace West. Member of the year award went to Bob Cummings.
Our Unit won the E.K. (Ted) Carter Shield.
President for the Unit was Comrade Joe Henderson. Ladies Auxilliary President was Bev Sylvestre (Boushie). Member of the year award went to John Abrahamson.
This Year we became the largest Unit in Manitoba and NorthWest Ontario Command with 1313 members. Our Unit band, under the direction of Comrade Joe Henderson travelled to East Grand Forks, N.D. to participate in the 62nd Convention of the Veteran's of Foreign Wars parade.
Our Unit Colour Party also participated in the parade and took 2nd place for the Colour Party category.
Unit President was Joe Henderson. ladies Auxilliary President was Ann George. Member of the year was presented to Don Welch.
Vi Farrow became a Life Member of the Ladies Auxilliary in July. Winners of the Manitoba and N.W. Ontario command Snooker were Unit #283 team consisting of Ed Slominski, O. McIntyre, G. Andrews and Art D'Amour.
Our 37th Anniversary was celbrated on the 9th of July.
Unit President for this year was Doug Seamen. Ann George was Ladies Auxilliary President. A. Glanfield was the recipient of the Member of the year award.
Unit #283 tied with Portage La Prairie Unit #13 for the E.K. (Ted) Carter Shield. Our Unit Snooker team won the Manitoba and N.W. Ontario Provincial Command Snooker Championship. The team members were B. Burns, M. Dengl, A. D'Amour and O. McIntyre.
During this our 38th Anniversary year, Unit President was Doug Seamen, Ladies Auxilliary President was Ann George and Member of the year award went to Len Sadler.
We had a membership of nearly 1500 for the year. Our Over 60's and Retired club was started during this year. We also won the E.K. (Ted) Carter Shield and our Unit Snooker team of A. D'Amour, O. McIntyre, A. Gallagher and A. Kempson won the Provincial Championship.
Our Unit President was Ray George, Ladies Auxilliary President was Ann George. Member of the year award went to Ken Baker, Comrade T. Dunn received his Life Membership.
Our unit Snooker team of A. D'Amour, R. Reid, O. McIntyre and R. Wheeler won the Provincial Championship.
In this our 40th Anniversary year, The Unit President was Ray George, Ladies Auxilliary President was Joyce Bennet and Member of the year award went to Dave Everall. Life Memberships were presented to Marv fraser, Joe Henderson, Herb Look and Stan Stillwell.
Dominion Convention was held in Winnipeg Sept 7-12. Our Unit held its first Luau with roast pig and all the trimmings.
We won the E.K. (Ted) Carter Shield and our unit Snooker team won the Manitoba and N.W. Ontario Provincial Command Snooker championships. The team consisted of Art D' Amour, Wayne Moar, Rae Roberts and D. Rintall.
Unit President was Stan Glass, Ladies Auxilliary President was Joyce Bennet and Member of the year was gordon McIntosh. Life Memberships were presented to Ray George and Doug Seamen of the Unit, to Betty Farmer and Ann George for the Ladies Auxilliary.
Our membership for the year was 1100 members. We also held a Luau, a car rally, a steak fry and information says the Meat Draw started around this time.
Comrade Joe Henderson was our Unit President and Joyce Bennet was the Ladies Auxilliary President. Member of the year winner was Bernie Moody and Sports Person of the year was Ken Eccles.
Unit Presidnet was Joe Henderson, Ladies Auxilliary President was Bev Sylvestre and Bob Delaney was awarded the member of the year.
Alan Kempson and Bill Lakota were joint winners of the Sports Person of the year award.
Unit President was Ray George, Ladies Auxilliary President was Linda Everall. Terry Patton was presented Member of the year award and Eadie Stephanson was the recipient for Sports Person of the year.
The E.K. (Ted) Carter Shield came to our Unit. Our last time to win the shield was in 1986.
Our Unit President was Comrade Hugh Kennedy, Ladies Auxilliary President was Linda everall. Member of the year was the Unit General membership and Sports Persons of the year went to all the Units Sports participants.
This was a very busy year for our Unit. On April 15th, we opened our present location. The big move took place over one weekend, very well co-ordinated and with lots of volunteers. Not one business day was lost.
We closed the bar in the old Unit at 1:00am on the 14th April and opened at 11:00am on the 15th April in our New Unit, completely functional.
September 28th, 1991 the first Can/Am Bi-annual golf tournament was held with the VFW Post 1894 in Grand Forks, N.D. We host it in the spring.
The Ladies Auxilliary donated in excess of $10,000.00 to our Unit. November of this year, we had the dedication of the Cenotaph.
Unit President was Hugh Kennedy, Ladies Auxilliary President was Linda Everall. Member of the year was Leo Barron and Sports Person of the year was Gord Shepherd and Rae Roberts. Life Memberships were presented to John Abrahamson, Frank Boyes and John Thompson.
On July 1st, we held our first Veteran's Appreciation Day in conjunction with Canada 125. Brigadier General Buckham presented the Korea Veteran's with medals.
Again this year, our Unit won the E.K. (Ted) Carter Shield. Our Unit Snooker team won the Provincial Command championship. Our Ladies Auxilliary retired their old Unit flag. B. Bethel, M. O'Connor and B. Sylvestre became Life Members. On December 3rd, Vi Farrow, a Life Member was presented with the 125th Anniversary Medal.
This year was the introduction of our Unit Pipe Band with their New "Flower of Scotland" tartan.
Comrade Hugh Kennedy was the Unit President and Linda Everall was Ladies Auxilliary President. Member of the year was Bill Fraser and Sports Person of the year was Herb Decksheimer.
His Honour the Honorable Y. Dumont, Lieutenant Governor of Manitoba presented the Governor General awards to comrades Ray and Ann George, Comrade Ken Eccles and our Honourary Dominion President Brigadier General B. Buckham, OMM, CD.
The Manitoba and N.W. Ontario Provincial Command Snooker Championship was won by our Unit team. Membership this year reached 1728.
Our Unit President was Hugh Kennedy and our Ladies Auxilliary President was Michelle Dalzell. Member of the year was Rita Frankton and Sports Person of the year went to Darryl Yeo. Appreciation awards with Medals were presented to Comrades Fred Stevens, Len Cook and Fran McAllister.
Murray Tench and family donated a piano to our Unit which proudly sits in our main lounge. Our Unit won the E.K. (Ted) Carter Shield. On June 3rd, our Unit Dart team consisting of Keith Bratley, Ken Heinrichs, Keith May and Curtis Elston represented Manitoba and N.W. Ontario Provincial Command and travelled to Vancouver to participate in the Dominion A.N.A.F. Dart Championships.
Unit 283 sponsors the Royal Canadian Sea Cadet Corp of Crusaders Pipe Band.
Comrade Hugh Kennedy was Unit President and ladies Auxilliary President was Beryl Torasows. Member of the year was Elvia Furutani and Sports Person of the year was Keith Bratley. Life Membership was presented to Morley Shultz.
This year, again we won the E.K. (Ted) carter Shield.
Our Unit Snooker team consisting of Bill Chopyk, Art D'Amour, Wayne Moar and Ralph Nicholson won the Provincial Command Championships.
From the 9th - 11th of June, our Unit hosted the Dominion Dart Championships. Our Unit team of Keith Bratley, Ken Heinrichs, John Jones and Malcolm Collins represented our Command.
Unit President was Comrade Fred Stevens, Ladies Auxilliary President was Beryl Torgasows. Member of the year and Sports Person of the year were presented at our 50th Anniversary celebration on the 13th of July.
On the 15th April, we held a "Members Day" to celebrate 5 years of being open in our New building. Many members joined in the activities of the day and heard tales of the move from our old Unit to here.
Our Western Days weekend was a great success. During the weekend festivities, we held a lobster feast and also a pig roast.
Our Unit win the E.K. (Ted) Carter Shield for our Command
Our History 1997 - Current
Please stay tuned for updates